Often, it seems to us, the ultimate goal of being a health professional is the same as that of being a parent; that is, to nurture and care for our patients/children so well that we become more or less redundant. On New Year’s Day, 2016, we would underscore the words of Rainer Maria Rilke, “And now we welcome the new year, full of things that have never been.” Working with our patients in behaviour change, motivational interviewing mode is not about solving a problem for/with them; rather, it is really about moving with them to see what aspect/s of their lives might be lived more fully. To paraphrase from the educational organization called The Mankind Project, when your client is looking for that one person who can change their life, that person might best be invited to take a look in the mirror. And this doesn’t necessarily mean literally and it certainly isn’t easy for any of us to look into one’s Self openly and fully. In doing motivational interviewing, sometimes it’s useful to envision what might be underneath a client’s surface desire to work with us. Would it serve us as professionals to imagine each client’s need as an essential one, to see her- or himself? We are in service to and with our clients and serving them using MI is so dependent on using open-ended questions, reflective listening, and continuously acknowledging them so that their ‘mirror’ becomes crystal clear. What wonders can be wrought with our clients that is greater than their realization that they have the power of choice for themselves!
- Monarch Level 1, Introductory Motivational Interviewing Workshop for the Memorial University Entry-to-Practice PharmD 3rd year students ~ 10 Sept 2021 [via Zoom] on September 10, 2021 11:00 am
- Advanced Motivational Interviewing & Coaching Tools for Healthcare Professionals ~ 12 September 2021 [via Zoom] on September 12, 2021 10:30 am
- Monarch Level 1, Introductory Motivational Interviewing Workshop for the Memorial University Entry-to-Practice PharmD 4th year students ~ 15 Sept 2021 [via Zoom] on September 15, 2021 11:30 am
- Applied Motivational Interviewing & Coaching Tools for Memorial University’s PharmD Working Professionals’ Group ~ 19 & 23 Sept 2021 [Zoom format] on September 19, 2021 11:30 am
- Monarch Level 1, Introductory Motivational Interviewing Workshop for Carefor Health & Community Services ~ 2 half-days, 20 & 27 September 2021 [via Zoom] on September 20, 2021 9:00 am